Portland Metro Arts
Student Performance Opportunities
Performance is an essential part of any dance experience. We encourage every student should avail themselves of as many of the following performance options as possible. More detailed information for each opportunity is available by clicking on the link under each performance event.
· Dance Mosaic-Each November, the weekend before Thanksgiving, Metro Dancers, which is in residence at PMA, presents-a repertory concert featuring works from classical ballet to cutting edge modern. All upper-division dance students are encouraged to audition. Auditions are held in September. LINK TO MetroDancers PAGE
·Little Nutcracker Workshop and Half-A-Nut Workshop - Every December between Christmas and New Year’s we offer our annual Little Nutcracker and Half-A-Nut Workshops. In three days we produce a miniature version of the holiday classic. It gives the dancers a chance to perform, wear great costumes and have something engaging to do during their Winter break from school. See Nutcracker workshops.
· Winter Music Showcase – A recital for all music group classes and private music students presented to family and friends. Instructors work with students to master a composition geared to their level.
· Winter· Visual Arts Gallery Showcase - All Visual Arts students contribute their works of art that are put on display for the enjoyment of family, friends and others during the Winter Showcase Week in January..
· Choreographers’ Showcase - This informal concert presents the work of choreographers who are just beginning to produce dances as well as experienced choreographers with works in progress. PMA dance students of all levels are encouraged to submit a piece. It is held in late January, during the Winter Showcase Week. See Metro Dancers.
· Winter Musical. - This musical production is open to all ages and is a wonderful performance opportunity for any level of ability. Performances are in late January during Winter Showcase week. This season’s presentation will be, Winter In the Willows. Auditions are held in October. PMA Theatre students are greatly encouraged to participate.
· Metro Dancers Full-length Ballet - Our resident dance company, Metro Dancers, presents a full-length ballet each spring. All PMA dance students, first grade through adult, are encouraged to audition and perform. Auditions are held in January. See Metro Dancers.
· Spring Music Showcase – A recital for all PMA Music group classes and private music students presented to family and friends. Instructors work with students to master a composition geared to their level.
· Spring· Visual Arts Gallery Showcase - All PMA Visual Arts students contribute their works of art that are put on display for the enjoyment of family, friends and others during the Spring Showcase Week in June.
· Spring Theatre Showcase – All PMA Theatre students present short plays and displays of their theatrical talents for the enjoyment of family, friends and others during the June Spring Showcase Week.
· Spring· Dance Showcase - Dancers from all PMA classes are invited to perform. Students wear their class uniform for the performance, so there are no expensive costumes to buy. It is the high point of the year for our students. Students perform with their class in a program that includes both lower and upper division dancers and many different dance styles, from Ballet to Hip- Hop. This performance is held off-site because of the volume of students involved. See Metro Dancers.
·Summer Camps & Workshop—Most of our Summer Camps and Workshops have some time of performance or presentation on the last day of camp. Over the course of the camp, students gain a great deal of knowledge and skills that they are eager to share with family and friends. See Summer Camps.